Monday, May 19, 2008

Stewart Falls/Snow hiking = sore legs

I said there was more to come in that last post so to keep true to my word (yes i'm still going to post about San Diego, Kyle) here is more. :)

Those photos in the previous post were of the side of Stewart Falls that K and I hiked to on Saturday. Please see below for more on Stewart Falls itself:






















We've been trying to dedicate part of our Saturdays and/or Sundays to hikes, trails, and sights in Utah since we haven't experience a large part of the beauty this state has to offer and have both lived here for so long. (Me: all my life, K: about 12 years)

The hike starts up past Sundance and is around 2 miles to get to the falls. K said there was a sign that said "Bear Country", but the only threatening thing I saw was this spider















It's not too tough of a hike and well worth it when you get there! It's so gorgeous and that calming noise waterfalls make as they crash onto the earth below makes the pain in your butt go away instantly!





















There is a smaller little waterfall directly to the right of St. Falls that this little bird was loving! He would perch right by the water and just bob up and down happy as can be looking around just like all the people by the big falls





















K wanted me to stand directly under the falls and I totally would have if it wasn't so slippery! In my mind I saw my body plunging to an unforeseen fate as I looked at the slippery rocks and the water quickly rushing pass them! But it sure did feel good to have the slaps of water drops fall upon my face in the 80+ degree weather.

















Self Portrait of us... Awww
















It took us about 45 minutes to get there and like 5 days to get out. (ok not 5 days, but we were tired and it seemed like forever!) Before hiking out we noticed that you can come straight up the river from Sundance and it's only 1.5 miles.
















I think we may try that route next time!


4 Hours after starting our adventure, we returned safely back to our car. Even though legs and bums are sore today we will continue our adventures and get as much in of Utah's beauty as we can so when we move we'll have no regrets! Oh and yes, I recommend this hike and site seeing adventure to everyone. :) The end.

6 comments:

Lacy said...

Ok I am so glad you and K didn't die on your hike. That would have been horrible. Spider web creeps me out, but the falls looked fun. I am glad you finally found me. You are now linked on my blog so I hope that is ok!

Ash said...

You should've walked on up the riv and eaten din and the Treehouse-room. This summer lets go camping/ hiking. Cool? The end.

Chellor said...

Lacy, how could you think that would not be ok?! Of course it is! I'm honored :)

And Sushi, when I save up enough money to eat at your swanky eating establishment we will come let you wait on us. ;> Camping... Hiking... yes please!

Jeff. Nikki. Keizya. Reila. said...

Chels....what is all this talk about WHEN we move....I really am not liking the sound of that very much at all. You're in big trouble! But yes, I as well, love Stewart Falls. If you are not planning to move until you have seen all of Utah, I can keep you busy forever. If that's what it takes, I'll be your travel agent! Just to give you a start...hike the San Rafael Swell, Rock climb Box Canyon (it's world famous), and then go back in the winter and ice climb the waterfall, Hike Coyote Gulch, Flaming Gorge River Rapids...need some more? Please stay,...I'm begging you!

Chellor said...

Freezing winters and death heat summers?!.... I think I'll take somewhere where it stays around 70 to 80 degrees year round for a little bit of a change! :)

No, it's just wishful thinking for now Nik... no worries yet girl.

Kyle Peterson said...

That is what Brittany and I did for our first REAL date. Well I guess the first was lunch at subway and afternoon bowling, but the REAL night time date was hiking Stewart Falls in the snow too, but we did it at night with head lamps and stuff.

Looks likes you guys had such a great time, the state is so pretty.