Wednesday, January 25, 2012

ALTITUDE: 2, CHELLOR: 0

When you have a master cook like Pops at home (he doesn't like me to use the term "chef" when describing him) like I do, why would I make him suffer with my amateur at best cooking? Needless to say it's rare to find me in the kitchen making more than an egg sandwich or creepys (crepes.)

However, when a friend posted a picture of the most beautiful chocolate chip cookies on Instagram over the weekend I found myself, 20 mins later, in the checkout line with 2 bags of chocolate chip cookies! Ok as well as a basket full of other ransoms groceries, but that's only because I turn 5 years old upon stepping into the grocery store and I "NEEEEED" everything. Pops loves this about me *sarcasm* and loves even more when I try to sneak things in the cart... I digress.

Long story short, after rushing home, chocolate chips in tow, and carefully following the instructions on the bag, I ended up with flat cookies. As well as slightly over-cooked cookies, but we're gonna blame that one on the stove mmmm'k? Damn you, high altitude! You've done it to me again with your cookie flattening skills! Ok, no biggie, we will just add more flour like my sis taught me to do years ago (and turn the oven heat down a bit.) Batch 2: still flat, but slightly better! Ok, now we're getting somewhere. More flour. Batch 3: Oh my word, Fluffy cookies! Yay! I anxiously wait for them to cool scoop them onto the plate and take a bite of a lovely fluffy cookie..... Blerg! Now they taste funny! Not so funny you can't eat them, but definitely not that perfect fluffy to gooey goodness ratio I demand in my cookies! *sigh* Oh Well. Pops and I enjoy the cookies best we can, I bag up the leftovers to take with me as a afternoon pick up snack at work the next day, and call it a night. *double sigh*

The next day, cookie bag in tow, I have a cooking queen co-worker try batch 1 vs. batch 2. She confirmed my thoughts from the previous night. Batch 1 had the gooey good quality while batch 2 had the fluffy quality, but tasted slightly off. She recommended a few things to try, I tried to pay attention to a subject I like only to reap the benefits from- cooking, logged the most simple of the suggestions and resolved to try again when the string of my prior days efforts had wore off.

Yesterday, I decided to try my hand at said cookies again. Remember, how I said I bought 2 bags of choc.chips? Usually that's simply because I tend to eat too many of them while making the batter and never end up with enough for baking, but luckily enough I somehow manager restraint and the seal on back 2 was never broken! Work ended and I had a splitting headache. Migraine are very common for me and this one was getting there quick. After coming home and trying to comfort my aching head for a couple hours I decided Pops shouldn't have to suffer with downer Chellor anymore and the cookies would definitely make my throbbing go away. I went into mechanical mode and started following choc.chip cookie recipe again. Since my brain wasn't thinking clearly, I managed to turn the oven heat down, but I did the exact same thing I had a few days prior in making the recipe! Gah! Flat cookies again! *see pictures below* At this point I throw in the towel for the night. I've had it! This is why I don't go in the kitchen! If a simple recipe leads me astray and doesn't work the first time I get bored and frustrated all at once. But this time I had resolved to actually try, try again only to fub it up again! Granted my brain wasn't fully functioning, but c'mon, Chellor! It had been just a few days! At least they weren't burnt due to the lower oven temp, I guess. I put the rest of the batter in the fridge and called it quits.

I may tackle this high altitude cookie baking again in the near... or not so near future, but for now I'm just fine eating my paper flat gooey cookies.

You win these rounds, High Altitude.

No comments: